On June 7th we headed to a nearby ruin of a Roman house. What there was to see was the remains of mosaics from the floors of the house. There were also some artifacts in the museum. The house was pretty interesting. Here is one mosaic.
The next day we took a look at some natural sites in the area. First, we checked out a cool circle shaped valley with a hill in the middle. As you can see from the picture, it is quite a site.
After that, we went to a cave called La Grotte des Demoiselles. My favourite part was when we entered the last and largest room of all. In this room stalactites and stalagmites of every sort surround you! I found the stalactites and stalagmites were rather fascinating. Pictures can't capture the beauty of these caves.
The last thing we looked at that day was not a natural site. We went to Le Pont du Diable. This bridge is from the medieval period and was built for travel between two monasteries.
Two days later, on the eleventh, we all got in the car and headed to the city of Avignon. When we arrived there, we were greeted by the city walls. After eating, we went to "Le Pont d'Avignon". It was a really cool experience to be on the world famous bridge! In the past, when I heard the song I thought of the bridge as a dream, and I never thought I would actually see it. We also visited Le Palais des Papes. It looked better on the outside then the inside. Over all, I found Avignon very interesting.
The next day, we saw one of France's traditions, La Course Camarguaise. We could have seen bullfighting, but we all thought it would be too gory to have a bull be stabbed and then run around until it bled to death. During La Course Camarguaise, the competitors try to snatch stuff off the bull or cow’s horns with a metal tool. Every time someone get something off, they win a certain amount of money (which is raised every five minutes or so). There are also people who don't have a tool and help get the bull in the right place for the people who have metal tools. We all enjoyed the show, except for my mom.
I haven't updated up to today, so I will update more soon.
Thanks for the update, Anthony! I received a post card in the mail a few days ago from your mom. It looks and sounds like you guys are enjoying yourselves!
ReplyDeleteMelissa, Jonathan & Alivia
Ps. We would love to see some more family photo's!
Looks fun Anth! Sorry I missed your calls, I was in Quebec city! Keep in touch and post more pictures! Have a nice day!
ReplyDeleteDaniel.W