Saturday, May 1, 2010

May-02-10 Day one in Europe

Today my family and I arrived in Frankfurt, Germany. I woke up last; we had an over night flight. We basically skipped breakfast and for a long time I felt pretty crummy (as you can see). We started driving to Bacharach, a small medieval town near Frankfurt; the youth hostel that we are going to stay at is located there. Along the way, we saw many ancient castles. When we finally arrived, I looked at the youth hostel and realized that the youth hostel was one of the castles that we saw from the road! (I was told before that it was a castle.)
He is a picture I took from the car as we were approaching Bacharach; this is the youth hostel we are staying at.

My family and I started to walk around the little medieval town. I was amazed at how old the buildings were; some houses and shops dated back into the 14 and 1500s! We ate lunch at an old restaurant; we had schnitzel, except for my sister; she had soup. I didn't know what to expect, but I thought the schnitzel was decent.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Anthony -
    The only thing I know about schnizel (I've never had it) is that it made the list of Maria von Trapp's "Favourite Things." Enjoy your trip!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! hope you guys are having a blast, we miss you already!

    Melissa, Jonathan & Alivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anthony,
    What an awesome castle to stay in! We miss you all already! Keep telling us your stories....
    We had a great time skiing in Whistler. I was the only one who had to take off skis and slide down one incline that was too steep and scary for me! We had lots of snow and one run takes over half an hour to ski! My legs were tired at the end of each day! Well, this is your blog not mine....so keep the great stories coming..
    We love you a LOT!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you guys have had a much more interesting day than us!! No castles here, just some 'sand dunes'..boring!! lol

    looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anthony,

    We will look forward to hearing your stories in person when you visit us. Heather and I stayed in that exact hostel (up a long flight of steps from the town) in 1996-97!
    Keith & Amanda
    Nathan, Matthew, Holly and Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Anth,

    I am trying to send some words to you via your blog. Hope you are having a great time in Europe, and get more stories from you.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Anthony!

    The comments seem to be working now!!

    Loving your blog... and looking forward to more about each of your days on the trip. About Monday, I guess not every day can be exactly as planned. Sometimes those days turn out to be the best ones!

    You're getting to see some very interesting things! Hope you are having fun!!

    Aunt Ru.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anthony,
    R6B is taking a look at your travels today - YOU are our Social Studies lesson. Thank you for all of the great writing and details.

    Mrs. Wilson + 23

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey what's up? you get us hooked and then nothing?

    tell us more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the chocolates, they were great. I really miss you and hope you have a good time.Keep in touch!





    Daniel.W

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry we didn't answer your calls, we went to piano.






    Daniel.W

    ReplyDelete